Yesterday, T and I celebrated the six year anniversary of us dating. We transplanted all of the seedlings that have been taking over our kitchen for the last couple of months and spent the whole day working in the yard. He is still fascinating to me and I think that he is the most fun.
I’ve been researching recipes of all sorts because if all of the fruits and veggies that we’re planting actually take off…we’re going to be swimming in fresh produce. A few that I’m particularly excited for: this fig and prosciutto pizza (since we have a fig tree!), this Mediterranean recipe, and this recipe for chicken thighs in a creamy tomato sauce.
I’m also reading a lot about canning and how to do it properly and safely. I’m excited to be able to give away tomato sauces, jams, pickles, beans, salsas, etc. When I was growing up, my grandparents had a closet in the garage where they stored all of their canned foods. Everything looked so pretty in the jars, it seemed like every shelf was always full of corn, okra, tomatoes, beans, peas, green beans, squash, and so much more. Because Martha Stewart is just…a dream, I’ll use this article as a guide when I start canning.
I’ve been reading My Life in France by Julia Child, and it just solidifies my love for her. Click the photo at the very top or below for one of the many articles displaying photos that Julia’s husband took of her.
- I want to bake THESE and THESE chocolate chip cookies asap. They're all the rage right now and I want to give some baked goodies away.
- Trey and I are still struggling to figure out a routine that balances work, our commute, and everything else that we want to do daily. Right now, the only sure thing is that when we get in bed, we will read Harry Potter. We're rereading the series right now, and we're starting The Order of the Phoenix tonight and I can't wait. He's reading the new, anniversary editions that came out this year. I'm reading editions illustrated by Kazu Kibuishi and each book is soooo preeeeetty. It's a comfort to know that at the end of the longest day, I'll end it with my mind drifting in and out of Hogsmeade and the halls of Hogwarts.
- Speaking of Harry Potter, happy September 1st!! Below is one of my favorite Harry Potter themed prints (by artist Kendra Miller) that I think would look pretty lovely framed in a nursery or a little one's bedroom. ;)
Here are some links to two other Potter themed prints that I'm particularly fond of: this alphabet, and this one (that we own). Oh, and this t-shirt by MouseketeersandButterbeers is one of the few graphic tees that I really just LOVE and want in my closet. Plus, it's customizable which is always a win.
4. If you're wondering what Madewell's current gems are... I have them right here for you and they're all on my wishlist. These mules are crazy comfortable. The Elinor Loafer is a staple, but they upped the cushion so it's actually even more fun to wear them now. Lookin' at you, Trey. Hint hint buy me these hint hint. This bag! I'm not sure which color that I love the most, but the snap clasp sounds just like your grandmother's pocketbook that she'd pull out at yard sales..it's just missing that bottom-of-the-purse/winter fresh gum smell. This blazer is delicious. Then, there's this bag, and the only thing that I'd want to put in it is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich because I imagine that it would be a perfect fit.
5. I'm planning to visit Mercier Orchards this fall and I'm very excited because I've never been to an apple orchard before!
6. My blog friend Haley is pregnant! She and I don't know each other in real life, but we follow each other's lives via the internet and she and her husband have been wanting a baby for so, so long! Congratulations, Haley!! P.S. I voted that it was a girl and... I was right.
7. I've been talking a lot about babies lately... I mean, read back a few lines and I was talking about nursery decor. I don't have baby fever...but it sure seems like I do? It's a topic that finds its way into conversation more often than I'd expect, but now is not the time. BUT. I found out that there is a very, very strong possibility that mine and Trey's babes might have red hair. THIS IS FUN FOR ME. We might have a couple of little ginger babies with freckles and GOSH YES PLEASE. But any way, I don't have baby fever. But look at these baby things that I would buy if I DID: these bird blocks, this beanie, this swaddle.
8. I've been feeling inspired to start creating, but I haven't been able to kick off and get the wheels turning. What do you do to get yourself moving?
9. Fall is here, and I expect that my next post will be some sort of a love letter to autumn. Stay tuned.